Chapter Five: Flavia: In Which I 'Ave my First Look at Reme's Army
I 'ad passed my test. I was a fully qualified nurse. I'd be joining Papa an' Marcus in the Gallic army. Marcus was bein' trained as a soldier much to Mama's dislike. An', as a matter o' fact, Papa's. So now, me an' Marcus was both in the army: me as a nurse, Marcus as a soldier.
Marcus walked me to the nurse's 'ouse in Ocelum.
"See ya in a bit, Via." He said. Then he ruffled my hair with his hand, an' kissed me on the fore'ead. I squirmed an' he smiled then walked back to wear Papa stood waitin'. I turned an' walked into the nurse's 'ouse.
It was busy. Nurses was bustlin' around an' trippin' over each other. It was fun to watch. Till one of 'em came o'er to me.
"Who are ya and what ya doin' here?" She asked.
"I'm Flavia." I said. "I'm 'ere to start work."
"Oh," she said. "Yer the new kid." Turnin' to the other nurses she said "Oi! New girl's 'ere!" The other nurses came over and introduced themselves. I caught none o' their names.
"Yer to help Liza over there in the corner." The first nurse said, pointin' to a girl not much older than me. She 'ad brown wavy hair, blue eyes, and tan skin. She was most certainly not a Gaul. Too purty.
"Hi," She said, shyly.
"Hi," I said. "I'm Flavia."
"I'm Elizabeth," the girl said. "But most folks call me Liza." Her name weren't Remen of Gallic either.
"Where ya from?" I asked. "I'm o' the Veneli tribe from Celtaeca."
"I'm from Britonnica." She said. "I was captured in a raid. She owns me." The girl gestured towards the first nurse who was busy yellin' at other nurses.
"Poor you," I said.
"She's not so bad once ya get used to her." Liza said.
Suddenly, we both 'eard shouts o' fear an' panic.
"Reme," Liza hissed. "They've found us!" She took my hand an' we followed the other nurses outside. Waitin' fer us was a small guard o' the youngest soldiers who wouldn't be much use on the battlefield yet. Marcus was with them.
"Via!" He pulled me into a hug that nearly crushed all my ribs.
"Set me down er else I'll have to nurse myself back to 'ealth." I said. Marcus obliged.
"Marcus," I said once I'd regained my breath. "Meet Elizabeth the Briton or Liza as she's called by the other nurses. Liza meet my brother Marcus." Marcus did a little bow. Liza giggled.
"Nice to meet ya." Marcus said.
"Nice to meet ya too." She smiled an' Marcus went red in the face.
"Let's get outa here if you two are done starin' at each other." I said. We did.
Papa met us later.
"Ocelum has fallen." He said. The first nurse I'd met fainted. But she hit her head on a stone on the way down. She'd never wake again.
Behind us, Ocelum burned, slowly at first but getting quicker an' quicker. In it, I could see shapes o' men an' horses movin' 'round. The army of Reme.