December 18, 2020

All For Freedom chapter eight

 Chapter Eight: Mark: In which I join the war
    The smoke was definitely building. I coughed and shut my eyes as tight as I could. I curled into a ball and tried to remember how I'd gotten myself into this.

Three days earlier
    I ran as fast as I could. Father had enlisted me in the Remen army as soon as he could because he didn't want me to "get any nonsensical ideas from grandmother's stories". The only nonsensical ideas I was getting from Grandmother's stories consisted of getting enough to eat.
    Father and Julian walked ahead of me at a pace I could never manage. So I ran to catch up as best as I could.
    I caught up at the camp. Father and Julian both looked impatient. As soon as they saw me, Father grabbed me upper right arm and Julian grabbed my upper left arm. They dragged me into the registration tent. The registrator eyed me suspiciously. Father and Julian didn't let go of me.
    "Are you sure he's able to lift a sword or javelin to fight?" The registrator asked Father. 
    "I'm not sure but he should learn anyways." Father said. "Every soldier helps." I struggled against his and Julian's grasp. Father let go of me and Julian grabbed me and held me in front of him. I stomped on Julian's foot. 
    "Take him to your tent, Commander." The registrator said to a furious Julian. "Tie him to a tent pole if you have to, but make sure he stays. Your father and I need to take care of a few finalities." The registrator smiled my way and a shiver went up my spine.
    "Yes, Sir." Julian said. He brought me to his tent and tied me to a tent pole. Then, he gagged me. I struggled and made as much noise as I could, but to no avail.
    Three days later, the army--me included--marched on a Gallic city and the men in front set fire to everything in sight.
    The youngest soldiers were sent ahead to check the houses for valuables. As soon as I entered a house to check, Julian slammed the door, trapping me inside the house, then threw a few burning torches through a small window. The stuff inside caught quickly and burned with all the strength of my hatred towards Julian. 
    The smoke was definitely building. I coughed and shut my eyes as tight as I could. I curled into a ball and tried to protect myself.

    Sometime later, someone burst through the door and dragged me out of the burning building. I coughed but, with my rescuer's help, sat up.
    "You alright?" He asked.
    "I think so." I coughed some more.
    "You're one of them Remens ain't ya?" my rescuer asked. I froze. My rescuer was a Gall. I looked at him.
    The Gall was tall with short, wavy brown hair, brown almond eyes, and bronze skin. He looked to be about my age or younger.
    "I am of Reme." I said. The Gall frowned.
    "What was ya doin' in a buildin' them Remens was burnin' down?" He asked.
    "My brother trapped me in there." I said. "Please don't take me to your camp."
    "I wasn't plannin' on it." The Gall said. "But let me get someone to check ya fer any damage." He stood up and walked a few feet to where two girls were standing. The taller of the two had tan skin, brown wavy hair, and blue eyes. The shorter one had long brown hair pulled into a braid, blue almond eyes, and bronze skin like my rescuer.
    "I ain't helpin' a Remen!" The shorter one snapped. "Even if the others ain't want 'im." She stomped off.
    "Via!" The boy called after her. "Don't tell anyone!"
    "I'll do it, Marcus." The taller girl said.
    "Thanks, Liza." Marcus said. Marcus and Liza came over to me.
    "What happened to you?" Liza asked me. I told her. She sat there quietly listening while Marcus stood guard a few feet away.
    "What's your name?" Liza asked.
    "Mark." I said, then coughed. She forced me into a lying position.
    "Marcus," Liza said. "I need you to bring me a few things." She listed several strange names and then Marcus left.
    "Don't try anything." Liza said. I nodded as best as I could.
    Marcus returned shortly with a bunch of plants which Liza ground up then mixed with water. She put the mixture into a bowl and made me drink it.

    I was returned to the Remens a week later under cover of darkness. I would've preferred to stay with Marcus and Liza.