The Perfect Christmas Tree
As told from the perspective of Allan Forbes
"C'mon!" Kyra dragged me outside without giving me time to grab my shoes.
"I need my shoes Ky!" I said, gripping the door frame in an effort to not get dragged outside without my shoes.
"No you don't!" She said. Kyra pulled me outside and dropped me in the snow. I pushed myself to my feet and ran back inside to get my shoes.
I pulled my boots on as fast as I could. Then I walked back outside. Kyra was waiting for me on the ground with Akaia. I climbed down the tree and joined them on the ground.
Kyra had told me that she knew the best spot to get a tree. I didn't know what to think of that.
Kyra and Akaia led the way. Since Kyra was full Elf, she could walk on top of the snow. Akaia could also walk on top of the snow. I had to trudge through knee deep snow.
Eventually we came to waist deep snow. Kyra and Akaia paused some feet away, letting me catch up. I did and paused to catch my breath. Kyra patted me on the head.
"I'm taller than you finally." She grinned.
"I am too!" Akaia said, measuring.
"Barely." I said. I flipped Kyra backward and she landed in the snow. She stood up, used me as a support to get back on top of the snow, dusted herself off, and threw a snowball at me. It missed and hit a large boulder. I rolled my eyes and followed Kyra slowly.
About half an hour later, Kyra, Akaia, and I came to a glade of evergreen trees.
"So," I said. "What are the requirements for the tree?"
"Odd, climbable, able to hide spiders," Kyra counted off with her fingers. "And really tall."
"Ah, no," I said. "Normal, short, fat, not climbable, not able to hide spiders."
"Tall, fat, able to hide your sword." Akaia said. Kyra grinned.
"We have a small house." I reminded them both.
"We know." Kyra said. She walked farther into the glade.
The trees were all at least twice my height. We needed a seven foot tree if it was to fit inside the house so none of these would work.
The snow grew shallower as we continued walking downhill. When we reached the bottom of the valley, the snow was gone and I had gained my height advantage over Kyra and Akaia.
In the middle of the valley was a clearing and in the middle of the clearing was a tree.
The tree was four inches taller than I was, it was fat, and didn't have many holes. It was the perfect tree in my opinion. Kyra and Akaia both thought it was too short.
We continued looking and getting into deeper snow till a large circular clump of snow hit me in the face and Kyra quickly brushed the snow off of her hands. I threw one back at her. And that's how we got into that snowball fight.
It went on for an hour. Snow flying in every direction until we all sat down laughing. Akaia climbed into my lap.
"We should find that tree now." Kyra said. I nodded and stood up, picking Akaia up as well. I helped Kyra to her feet.
"Yes." I said, setting Akaia down. "That one in the clearing was fine."
"It was short." Akaia said.
"It would fit perfectly in the house." I said.
"What if we had a tree that fit one requirement from each of ours?" Kyra asked.
"So," I said. "Short, fat, and–"
"Odd of able to hide spiders." Kyra said.
"Odd it is." I said.
After long searching, Akaia spotted a tree that stood out from all the rest. It was seven feet tall, fat, and curved.
"That's it." Kyra agreed. "How do we cut it down?"
"I don't know." I said. "You're the one who's done this before."
"Um," Kyra said. "Father's always done this before."
"What's he used?" Akaia asked.
"Sword." Kyra said.
"Good." Akaia said, pulling my sword out from underneath her cloak.
"What is it with you and my sword?" I asked her. My darling little sister shrugged and handed Kyra my sword. Kyra held the sword out to me.
"You're the only one strong enough to do this." Kyra smiled. I glared at her but took my sword and got to work.
The tree cut pretty easily and then, I found myself dragging it back to the house. Akaia had volunteered to carry my sword so I knew I wouldn't be seeing my blade for at least a week.
We, I mean I, somehow got the tree up another tree and into the house. But we had to tie the tree to the wall so that it would stand up.
"That was exciting." Kyra said.
"Yeah." I said. "Next year, let's just go to your parents' and skip the tree."
"Agreed." Kyra said.
So that's how we ended up with the weirdest Christmas tree ever. I won't even begin to say what happened at the Christmas party.
The End
The Days before Christmas with Three Young Kids
As told from the perspective of Kyra Forbes
The Christmas tree was bare of ornaments for the bottom few feet. After all, Andy liked to pull things off the tree. The tree was missing lots of needles within his grasp too.
In the kitchen, Ren was busy and shutting a cupboard door. Andy was pulling needles off the tree one at a time. Tiya was sitting on the back of the couch with a plate in her hands. Allan was on Earth meeting with an Elf named Willow. Akaia was trying to trade with Tiya by offering a knife for the plate (and Tiya wanted to take the knife). I was trying to get the knife away from Akaia before she could give it to my five year old daughter.
"Akaia." I said, pulling the knife away. "You of all people should know not to give Tiya a knife." Akaia looked at me blankly. I sighed, put the knife on the table, and picked up Tiya. Akaia picked up the knife. I rolled my eyes.
"Let's go check on your brothers." I said to Tiya. Tiya rubbed her eyes after giving me the plate. I set her down and she joined Ren in the kitchen. I went over to Andy and picked him up. He blinked sleepily and leaned on me as best as he could.
For some reason, Kyren had offered to help me when Allan had been gone a few months ago. It turned out that Kyren had a way with the kids so he had come over to help me with them whenever Allan was gone. I couldn't understand my brother.
Kyren was in the kitchen with Ren and Tiya. I heard something clatter to the floor and I flinched.
"Let's go see what they're doing." I said to Andy.
The kitchen was a disaster and I wasn't the cause.
"Kyren," I said. My brother and son looked up.
"What?" Kyren asked.
"Did you give Ren and Tiya the flour?" I asked.
"Yes." Kyren looked at his feet. Akaia walked into the kitchen and pulled Tiya to her feet. I set Andy down.
When is Allan getting home? I thought.
Kyren watched me closely.
"Why don't you two take the kids outside," I said. "I'll clean up this." I indicated the kitchen.
"Excellent idea." Kyren said. He and Akaia took the kids outside as fast as they could before I could change my mind. I set to work on the disaster that was more commonly called the kitchen.
"Need help?" I whirled around. I'd been working for over an hour and hadn't heard the door.
"Allan!" I smiled. He pulled me to my feet.
"Kyren gave them flour?" He asked, pulling me into a hug.
"Yup." I said.
"What else has happened?" Allan asked.
"Akaia tried to give Tiya a knife," I said. "Andy pulled more needles off the tree, Tiya pulled all the books off the bookcase, Ren picked the lock on our door, and Andy used a book as a pillow the other day. You haven't missed much. We'd better go check on Akaia and Kyren."
"We probably should." Allan agreed, then kissed me.
We found the five of them in the hollow near Spider Cove. Akaia and Kyren were in a snowball fight. Well, Akaia was throwing snowballs at a rock that Kyren was cowering behind. The kids were watching with interest.
"How did this happen?" Allan asked. Akaia ran over and nearly tackled Allan. Kyren stood up from behind his rock.
"Nice to see you too, Akaia." Allan said. He let go of his sister and she threw another snowball at Kyren who shrieked and ducked behind the rock.
Tiya was really excited to see that Allan was back. Allan picked her up and Tiya leaned her head on his shoulder. Akaia and I picked up the boys and Kyren said his very quick goodbyes before going home. I smiled and tried to get Andy to stop chewing on the end of my hair. It didn't work.
Christmas day came after: Mother insisted we take Mr. Fluffers and Lady Fluffy back, the bottom three inches of branches on the Christmas tree had been stripped of all its needles, the frying pan had disappeared, and Allan's sword had disappeared (only to reappear under the tree).
Of the kids, only Tiya knew it was Christmas. I knew she knew because it was the only day out of the year that she let me do her hair.
Allan was doing something in the kitchen which left me to watch Andy and Ren while I braided Tiya's long wavy red hair (that she had most certainly gotten from Allan). Andy and Ren were blond like me, and their hair was straight.
Allan finished what he was doing and I finished braiding Tiya's hair.
"Andy's eyeing the tree." Tiya said. She hopped off my lap. Andy was eyeing the tree. Or he was eyeing the wrapping paper. Andy had gotten his hands on a scrap of wrapping paper a few days ago and had just sat there staring at it for several hours.
Allan brought Ren into the living room and set him next to Andy. Andy didn't even notice. He was too interested in looking at the wrapping paper.
Tiya was busying herself with teaching the boys how the rest of the day would work. Ren listened. Andy didn't.
"They're so cute together." I said to Allan. Allan only smiled.
The End
Letters to Santa
Dear Santa, December first, Tiya aged 8
I've been very good this year. If you are inclined to put me on the naughty list because of that broken ornament fiasco, don't. It wasn't my fault. It was Grumpy and Sleepy's fault. They like to nose the ornaments and watch them reflect. They're also bears and bears love climbing trees. It's not like I gave them the whole collection of fragile red ball ornaments. That's nonsense.
If you want to know what I want for Christmas, then you're in luck. I would like: a) Mother to never cool when Father's not home, b) bear treats, c) more red ball ornaments, d) a puppy, and e) a sword.
I'll make sure there are cookies for when you come.
Sincerely,
Tiyana F.
Dear Tiyana, December third, Santa aged ?
Don't worry about the ornament fiasco. I know it was you but everyone breaks ornaments at some point. (Though you're the first I've heard of who broke a whole set.)
It's very helpful when people include what they want for Christmas. But why do you want a sword? You're only eight! And have you ever thought about getting coal for Christmas?
I would love some cookies. But just make sure that you're mother doesn't make them.
I should go. Mrs. Claus is waiting on me to do something. And I need to figure out how to get her back for the smack she gave me a minute ago.
Many candy canes,
Santa Claus
Dear Santa, December fifth, Andy aged 6
Tiya showed me the letter she got from you and I have a few questions. Why does your handwriting look like Father's? Why did Mrs. Claus smack you? Why do you come down chimneys? Why can't you just use the door like normal humanoid creatures? How do you get to every kid in all the worlds in one night? Why do you use reindeer? Why not use horses instead? Why do you have a beard? Why do you dress in red? Why not green or blue? Why do you live on an iceburg? Why don't you live somewhere warm like somewhere that isn't the North Pole?
Tiya told me that was enough questions but I still have more so I'll send you another letter with more questions.
In case you're curious, I only want a sword, a few knives, some throwing knives, and a dirk like Father's.
Sincerely,
Andy F.
Dear Andy, December seventh, Santa aged ?
That's a lot of questions. Luckily, I have answers for the questions.
I have no idea why my handwriting looks like your Father's. Mrs. Claus smacked me for no good reason. I prefer the chimney because it is unique. And most doors squeak. The way I get to every kid in all the worlds is a secret. I use reindeer because they come with an instruction manual. Horses don't. I have a beard because beards are cool. I dress in red because it stands out against the night sky. I live on an iceburg because it's uninhabited. And I don't like humidity. There is not humidity in the North Pole.
I would appreciate it if you didn't send me anymore questions.
What is it with your family and sharp deadly weapons?
Many dull candy canes that can't possibly be used as weapons,
Santa Claus
Dear Santa, December ninth, Ren aged 4
If kids are on the nice list, you give them what they want. If they're on the naughty list, you give them coal. But what if a kid was on the nice list and they wanted coal? Would that throw off the whole naught nice thing? Or, what if a kid was on the naughty list but they want coal for Christmas? Would you give them coal? Because that would be rewarding the naught kid for being bad. Or would you give them something else or nothing at all? Has that ever happened? If it did happen, would it throw the schedules and lists out of order? How long would it take to fix the lists?
I would like a sharp deadly weapon for Christmas. You can pick the weapon. Or you could give me some coal.
Sincerely,
Kyren F, but if you write me back, address it to Ren. It's what people call me and it's what I prefer. Ren is much better than Kyren. Don't tell Mother that.
Dear Ren, December eleventh, Santa aged ?
You have posed quite the paradox little one. When I read your letter, I completely forgot you were only four years old.The letter sounded like it was from an adult well past how smart your mother is, but that would be fairly easy to do. She's not the smartest person out there. Far from it.
As for your paradoxical question, there was actually a kid who asked for coal. It took me weeks to get everything straightened out.
Why would a four year old want a sharp deadly weapon?
Many marshmallows (which are soft and harmless),
Santa Claus