Chapter Twelve: In which I let Marcellus In and Regret It
The news came the following week. Father and Julian were declared enemies of Reme. Anyone connected to them was obligated to publicly denounce them and then have a loyal soldier of Grandfather's search the house and stay to keep eyes on the situation.
I didn't denounce Father and Julian. But, I let the soldier in.
The soldier's name was Marcellus. From the moment he stepped through the door, he acted like Julian. He was in charge. Anyone who said and thought otherwise (me, Peter, Mary, and especially Flavia) was beaten severely. Flavia had the nerve to talk back to Marcellus one day.
"Get me something to drink, you filthy thing." Marcellus instructed Flavia.
"No." She said.
"No?" He raised an eyebrow.
"No." Flavia repeated. "An' ya know why? I'll tell ya why, you fat, lazy, piece of animal dung. You don't tell me what to do 'cause ya have no right to." For extra effect, she spit on him. Marcellus stood up, grabbed her by the arm, and went outside.
I saw Flavia the next day. She was bruised and wouldn't get up. I tried talking to her but she wouldn't respond.
Marcellus was going to need to keep an eye on his back from then on.