June 11, 2021

All For Freedom Chapter Seventeen

 Chapter Seventeen: Flavia: In which I help a Remen
    Marcus an' I was out in the woods lookin' fer a sheep fer Mama when we found Mark, unconscious from lack of blood, near the village limits. Marcus picked 'im up an' we walked back to the village. The stupid sheep was waitin' fer us outside its pen. I let it in an' Marcus brought Mark inside the house.
    Marcus laid Mark on his old bed an' left 'im in mine an' Mama's care. Mama left him in my care mostly. 
    I pulled Mark's shirt off an' cleaned the various wounds, wonderin' how in Arachwee he'd gotten them. I'd have to ask him when he woke up. If he woke up.
    I bandaged Mark an' found an old clean shirt of Marcus's which I laid at the end of the bed fer when he woke up.

    A few nights later, Mark came down with a fever. A bad fever. Mama an' I sent Cornelia an' Lucius out to look fer some elderberries. They came back with quite a lot of elderberries. Lucius got a bowl of water an' some rags an' set them on a small stool by the bed. Mama an' I pressed the berries until we'd made elderberry tea an' juice.
    I poured some tea into a small cup an' forced it down my unconscious patient's throat. I applied a wet rag to 'is forehead. Now all we could do is wait.