July 22, 2022

The Tools of a Writer

As I've been working on my Spy Thriller, I've noticed that I carry certain items around with me from table to table, upstairs to downstairs, from room to room. So, it's time to put them all in a bag so I don't have to block my view of the stairs. 
I have a messenger bag that has a fair amount of room in it and lots of helpful little pockets that are the perfect size for things like pencils, tiny notebooks, and calculators. If you want to create your own "Writer's Bag", find a bag that would work for you, and start putting your writing tools in!

What I have in mine and why:
  1. Last school year's planner. This is where I've been profiling all of my characters and it has a lot of really great resources in it (like project planning pages and brainstorming pages) and a bunch of blank note paper. 
  2. A binder to hold all of the loose papers I've written and drawn on that relate to my book. This is a great way to keep all loose papers in one place. Of course, if you do all your planning, doodling, and random idea jotting down in one notebook, feel free to just put that notebook in. 
  3. A brain dump notebook. This is where I write down anything that is going through my head. A great tool if you tend to get distracted. Just write it down. That way you don't have to worry about it at that moment, but you won't forget. I also take this notebook with me everywhere. I never know when I'll have an idea and I need somewhere to write it down, so I don't forget it.
  4. A notepad. This is where I write down random things relating to my book. I have characters' names, events, dates, and random info. It won't make sense to someone who just passes by but that is alright. 
  5. A binder holding the various questionnaires I'm working on filling out. I answer questionnaires to help me build my worlds and develop my characters and it's nice to keep them altogether in one binder. 
  6. A random scenes notebook. If I have a scene playing through my mind, I write it down. It's nice to have a notebook to do that in. And it isn't just for one book. I do it for all of my books. But I only use one notebook. I just make sure to note down which book the scene is for. 
  7. A pencil, extra lead, and a large eraser. The reason should be obvious 😉.
  8. The notebook I'll be writing my book down in. This reason should be obvious too.
  9. A calculator. I am not a math expert. I hate math and can't do it well in my head (unlike my brother). So, I carry a calculator around with me just in case I have to figure out something mathematical. (Especially since I do lot with years and such.)
  10. A thesaurus and Scrabble dictionary. This is for looking up synonyms and random words in. You never know when the word zyzzyva will come in handy. 
Important note: this is probably going to be heavy. But at least nothing is falling out of your arms. 
~Puck