July 22, 2022

WaN Step One: Get a Starting Point

    A starting point is one of the easiest parts of writing a novel. This is your idea. The thing that sparks the entire project. This could be a great character name, a new type of creature, a scene, a title, or a basic plot idea. My spy novel started when I decided to try to write something that had a bunch of characters based off of my favorite tv show and movie characters. That was my starting point. My characters are only loosely based off of these characters, but it was a great place to start. I still don't have my plot; I don't even have an inkling of an idea as to what it is fully about. I have my characters, I have a couple scenes planned out, I have a couple twists, and I have a starting point. 
    Once you have your starting point, you need to write it down. You don't want to forget your idea. And write it down with a pencil or a pen on a piece of paper. You'll remember it better if you do. 
    Important note: as you continue to create your characters, your world, and your plot, your starting idea might end up completely changed. But it got you started which is what a starting point is supposed to do. So go write down all your crazy ideas, your random characters, your new creatures, your exciting scenes. Go write them down and see what comes from it. 
~Puck